Tree pruning services for Portland and SW Washington
Reliable service for your home or business by trained arborists
General Tree Service's professionally trained and ISA certified arborists have been pruning trees and shrubs in the Portland-Vancouver metro area for over 90 years. With residential and commercial services, we’ll keep the trees and shrubs at your home and business strong, healthy and looking good.
Specialized training, proper equipment and an 'eye' for what needs to be done are tools of our trade. As members of the TCIA and ISA, our arboricultural experts are dedicated to working with you to create a healthy landscape.
Pruning is done for 2 reasons
- Hazard reduction pruning eliminates a possible hazard or danger. For example, removing dead limbs hanging over a park bench so they don't fall and hurt someone.
- Maintenance pruning is done to maintain or improve the health and structure of a tree and can include hazard reduction pruning.
Keep trees healthy with our tree trimming services
Whether you’re trimming trees for safety reasons (as in hazard reduction) or maintenance (making it more structurally strong), there’s many kinds of pruning that can be done.
Most people have a variety of trees on their property and they may all require different methods of pruning to keep them healthy, strong and looking their best. Often times, more than 1 type of pruning is necessary.
Whatever the case, you can be sure our pruning crew, led by Eric, always follow the latest industry guidelines set by the TCIA, ISA and ANSI Z1.33 standard . When our sales team (Greg, Kevin, Jim, Paul, Edu or Iris) gives an estimate for tree trimming, they’ll listen to your concerns first.
Then, they’ll give an expert assessment bringing up any potential dangers as well as discussing the type(s) of pruning needed for your trees and shrubs to remain healthy while promoting growth.
I spent 32 years as a professional forester and feel confident in my ability to care for trees in the forests. However, when it comes to urban forests and trees I generally refer folks to someone more qualified in that environment.
General Tree has fulfilled that role for several years and has repeatedly demonstrated expertise and knowledge. Your company has earned your excellent reputation.
- Ray A., Portland, Oregon
Pruning 101: Types of pruning
- Crown cleaning-pruning off dead, dying, diseased or weak branches
- Crown thinning-pruning branches to increase light penetration, air movement and reduce weight
- Crown raising (lift pruning)-pruning off lower branches to provide clearance
- Crown reduction-in particular cases and for the appropriate type of plant, pruning to decrease the height or spread of a tree to reduce encroachment to a structure, other trees, etc.
- Crown Restoration-pruning to improve the structure and appearance of a tree. This service is done to restore the canopy structure of either a tree that had been subject to poor pruning in the past or to help restore a healthy canopy in a diseased tree
Specialty pruning by trained tree experts
In addition to the services already described, General Tree provides specialized pruning to address any and all specific needs of the trees and shrubs located in your home's yard or commercial property.
- Detail pruning
- Containment pruning
- Production fruit tree pruning
- Ornamental fruit tree pruning
- Structural pruning
- Vista pruning
General Tree Service has been caring for the trees and shrubs around our facility for over 25 years. Their expertise and concern for our landscape is why we continue to partner with them.
- Ed N., Portland Oregon
Did you know improper pruning can damage a tree?
The trees and shrubs in your yard need regular care and maintenance to keep them healthy and looking their best and this includes pruning.
Pruning is best done by professionals who understand how a tree responds to each cut so long term viability is maintained.
Improper pruning techniques can result in the cut areas not healing correctly and that can invite pests and disease.
Keeping everyone safe
We are always concerned about the safety of our crews and take particular care to train and supervise all employees in proper safety procedures.
- Climbers use tree saddles and safety lines when working above 15 feet.
- Ground crew members wear hard hats and place safety devices to control traffic and assist in lowering large limbs.
- Appropriate head, eye and ear protection is worn by all crew members.
- Only trained employees are allowed to work within 10 feet of an energized line.
Tree and shrub removals are our specialty
When removal of a tree or shrub is necessary, we remove it as low as possible to near ground level.
A complete removal includes the stump and major roots within 2 feet of the stump with the area being smoothed out as best as possible. Stump grinding is also available.