Tree removal for Portland, Salem and Vancouver WA
Fast and reliable tree removals since 1924
Locally owned and operated, General Tree Service has been removing trees in Portland, Salem and SW Washington for over 90 years. Any tree removal can be dangerous, which is why you should not attempt to take down a tree by yourself. It’s not worth the risk of damaging your home, car or family members when there’s a professional tree service that can do the job for you.
Whether your tree is diseased, dead, causing an obstruction or posing a potential hazard, our crews will dismantle it quickly while keeping everyone and everything safe during the entire process. Call the trained professionals at General Tree Service and then, sit back and relax knowing the job will be done right.
Safety is our #1 priority
The staff at General Tree Service is not only concerned about the safety of our crews, but also protecting your family, property and the general public. This is why we follow strict safety guidelines.
- All crew members wear the appropriate head, eye and ear protection.
- Professional climbers use tree saddles and safety lines when working above 15 feet.
- Ground crew members place safety devices to control pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
- During removal, large limbs and wood are controlled from the canopy to the ground using ropes and rigging equipment.
Free estimates on tree services
If you need a tree removed at your Portland or Vancouver home or business, contact us to set up an appointment for one of our team (usually Greg or Kevin) to come out for an estimate.
Tight quarter tree removals require special care
If you have a tree that needs to be removed but it is located near power lines, buildings or other trees, that’s a situation that requires special care and planning.
The professional aborists at General Tree Service have the experience and equipment to deal with complex tree removals so other property doesn’t get damaged during the process.
As with all our services, our crew will explain the removal process before we start any work so you’ll understand what is being done and approximately how long the process will take.
If you have any questions or concerns, we encourage you to share them with our crew right away so they can be addressed.
Stump grinding is fast solution
When a tree is removed, you are left with the stump. Most homeowners like to remove it as it gives them more options, like landscaping the area or planting a new tree or grass.
No matter the size, stump grinding is the fastest, most efficient way to remove a stump from your yard.
What is stump grinding?
It involves using a machine with a high-speed disk and specially designed teeth to grind the stump and roots into small wood chips.
The bigger the stump the longer it takes to grind down though in the end, you are left with a flat piece of ground that will blend nicely into the surround area.
When should you remove a tree?
Here are some situations where tree removal may be recommended to limit potential hazards that could cause harm to your property or family.
- Diseased tree should be taken down before the disease spreads to other trees.
- Dead or dying trees more apt to topple in strong winds and cause damage to your home or property.
- Crowding other trees and better to lose 1 tree so the others can be strong and healthy.
- Growing too close to home or building and causing structural damage, like cracks in the foundation.
Fast service after storms
Don’t fret if the latest storm has damaged trees or worse yet, brought down a tree on your home or vehicle. General Tree offers quick service for homeowners who have immediate needs.
We have the staff and equipment on hand to deal with a wide range of tree-related situations from downed trees to broken branches so your life can get back to normal as soon as possible.
We also service commercial properties and businesses from Salem to Portland to southwest Washington so give us a call today. You’ll be happy you did.
What you need to know about tree removal in Portland
If you are planning to remove a tree on private property, a permit is usually not needed though here are 2 cases where a permit may be required.
- The City of Portland regulates the cutting of trees which are 12” in diameter (measured at 4.5 feet above the ground) or greater on certain private properties.
- You may also need a permit if your property is located in certain environmental zones where trees are protected through land use regulations or if the property is dividable.
Need more info about tree removal?
Contact PP & R Urban Forestry at 503-823-4489. They will answer your questions, tell you if a permit is needed and even help start the permit process.